Barak refuses to attend Knesset meeting with Ashkenazi

Defense minister says he informed Rivlin several weeks ago that he was “not prepared to take part in media shows staged by politicians.”

By DAN IZENBERG
January 12, 2011 03:15
1 minute read.
Defense Minister Ehud Barak

Barak stink-eye 311. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Defense Minister Ehud Barak on Tuesday refused to attend a Knesset State Control Committee meeting on the subject of appointments of senior IDF officers because the chief of General Staff, Lt.-Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi, was invited to the same meeting.

Barak later issued a statement saying he had informed Knesset Speaker Reuven Rivlin several weeks ago that he was “not prepared to take part in media shows staged by politicians.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Barak and Ashkenazi have not been on speaking terms for many months.

Each suspects the other of being behind attempts to publicly discredit one another over the question of whether Ashkenazi would have to step down at the end of his term and, if so, whether Barak’s candidate, Maj.-Gen. Yoav Galant, would replace him.

The feud broke out even before this latest and most serious crisis between the two.

According to committee chairman Yoel Hasson (Kadima), Barak told him he was prepared to attend a separate meeting on condition that Ashkenazi was not there.

The meeting was held to discuss a report issued last year by State Comptroller Micha Lindenstrauss on the problems involving promotions and appointments of senior military officers.



Hasson said Barak’s refusal was “a grave and unworthy step and we could have taken legal procedures against him.” However, he told the committee he had decided not to do so.

The meeting was attended by Lindenstrauss, Ashkenazi, former defense ministers Moshe Arens and MK Amir Peretz (Labor) and former chief of General Staff Lt.-Gen. (res.) Dan Halutz.

MK Arye Eldad (National Union) was also angered by Barak’s conduct and protested at the meeting. Later, he wrote to Rivlin, demanding that he take action against Barak and charging that the defense minister’s “gross contempt” for the Knesset had “crossed a red line.

“The defense minister cannot say he is ‘ready to appear before the committee.’ He must appear before it in accordance with the law... He cannot go on in his job as though nothing happened. Failure on your part to respond harshly will only prove that he was right.”

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN