Erekat denies plans for Israeli-Palestinian meetings

PA official says alleged October 23 Jordan meeting will not take place; reiterates demand for settlement freeze and '67 lines.

By REUTERS
October 13, 2011 16:47
2 minute read.
Saeb Erekat

Erekat talking with hands in air 311. (photo credit: Jonathan Ernst/Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

RAMALLAH - Senior Palestinian Authority official Saeb Erekat denied on Thursday that Palestinian and Israeli delegates would soon meet in Jordan to discuss restarting peace talks, reiterating demands that Israel stop building settlements before negotiations can resume.

Washington and its allies are scrambling to resurrect peace talks to defuse a diplomatic crisis after PA President Mahmoud Abbas submitted a request last month for Palestine to be recognised as a UN member state.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Netanyahu OKs panel to examine legalizing settler homes
US criticizes Israel over settlement committee

A US State Department spokeswoman said on Tuesday Washington was hopeful the Israelis and Palestinians would hold a preliminary meeting in Jordan on Oct. 23.

But Erekat, a veteran Palestinian peace negotiator and close adviser to Abbas, told Voice of Palestine radio that no such meeting was planned.

"It was said that there are meetings and calls for meetings in Jordan between an Israeli and a Palestinian delegation with the Quartet. This talk is not true. We did not receive anything from them," he said.

The Quartet of Middle East peace mediators comprises the United States, the European Union, Russia and the United Nations. The Quartet issued a statement on Sept. 23 calling on the sides to hold a preliminary meeting within a month that would lead to full peace talks.



Erekat said: "My view is that anyone who tries to get around the point that Israel must halt settlement and accept the '67 borders is only wasting their time," he said.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has refused to halt the building of  settlements in the West Bank and east Jerusalem.

He says the Palestinians should have come to the table when he partially froze West Bank building for 10 months between 2009 and 2010, and any talks should come with no preconditions.

Netanyahu told the European Union's foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton on Monday he was willing to meet  Abbas to restart peace talks.

Ashton on Sunday announced plans to invite Israeli and Palestinian representatives to meet to discuss resuming negotiations. The last round of talks broke down a year ago over the settlement issue.

Abbas, currently in Paris, is due to meet the US Middle East envoy David Hale later on Thursday, Erekat said.

"There will be no negotiations for the sake of negotiations," he said.

Click for full JPost coverage


Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN