Gov't brokers deal to prevent outpost demolition

Ramat Gilad to be recognized as part of Karnei Shomron on condition that 5 of its 10 caravans be relocated.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
December 20, 2011 09:50
1 minute read.
Demolished structures in Mitzpe Yitzhar outpost

Mitzpe Yitzhar demolition 311. (photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem)

The Yesha Council and Ramat Gilad residents reached an agreement with the government that will prevent the destruction of the outpost, Army Radio reported on Tuesday morning. The deal allowed for the outpost to be considered part of Karnei Shomron on the condition that five of its ten caravans be relocated from a disputed area.

Dani Dayan, who heads the Council of Jewish Communities of Judea, Samaria and the Gaza Strip, explained on Tuesday morning that attacks carried out  last week by right-wing settlers almost led to the cancellation of the plan.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Couple leads effort to stop Ramat Gilad outpost demolition
IDF clears activists from border; 17 arrested

"The agreements were already 95 percent ready on Monday night, before the attacks," Dayan said. "Suddenly, Defense Minister Ehud Barak created a provocation of preparing forces to evacuate Ramat Gilad and that's what led to the violence."

Moshe Zar, who claimed to own a portion of the property on which the outpost is constructed, said of the deal, "We are willing to come to an agreement in order to avoid clashes with the IDF, Police and Border Patrol. We are ready to give up [land] even though it is in complete contradiction with our ideology."

A defense official clarified that the agreement is still not finalized. 

The state had promised to remove those caravan homes on the outpost constructed on land classified by the state as private Palestinian property in response to a petition by Peace Now to the High Court of Justice.

The outpost was constructed in 2001, in memory of Zar’s son, Gilad, who was killed in a drive-by shooting by Palestinians that same year. The outpost is home to 10 families, but some of the homes are on state land.

Tovah Lazaroff contributed to this report.


Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN