Hebron Palestinians unconvinced by evacuation

Beit Hamachpela protesters pleased by evacuation, but say "real problem" includes all settlers in Hebron.

By
April 4, 2012 19:50
1 minute read.
Border policemen at Beith Hamahpelah in Hebron

BORDER POLICEMEN at Beith Hamahpela 370. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Palestinians in Hebron reacted with mixed feelings to Wednesday’s eviction of Jewish settlers from a house which they allegedly purchased from a Palestinian.

“We hope this is not just a theatrical act,” said Mahmoud Qawassmeh, who lives near the disputed house, which Palestinians say belongs to the Abu Rajab family.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“We are happy that the settlers have been removed from here,” he said. “But we hope that this is a permanent move and that they won’t come back.”

In Ramallah, Palestinian Authority officials did not comment on the eviction of the settlers.

Qawassmeh and a group of Palestinian activists had set up a tent near the site to protest against the presence of the settlers in the house.

“We still don’t know if we are going to end the protest,” said Ayman Zahdeh, another neighbor. “The problem is not only with the 20 settlers who occupied the Palestinian house. The real problem we have is with all the settlers who are living in our city. We want to see all of them evicted because their presence here is a source of tension and instability.”

Issa Amr, one of the activists behind the antisettler protest, complained that settlers attacked Palestinian families Wednesday with stones and firebombs.



He said that the settlers caused damage to the windows at the home of the Sider family and a vehicle belonging to the Qafisheh family.

“The settlers also tried to set fire to our tent,” he claimed. “They hurled abuse at us and threatened to harm even the children who were standing in the area.”

The PA governor of Hebron, Kamel Hmeid, denied that the disputed house had been sold to settlers.

“How can 20 settlers together buy one house?” he asked. “And why did they force their way into the house after midnight? Why haven’t they shown us proof that they purchased the house?”

A PA security official in Hebron confirmed that the Palestinian security forces have launched an investigation into the case to determine whether Palestinians were involved in the real estate deal. The official also denied that a suspect was arrested for questioning.

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN