Kuwaiti report: Shin Bet ordered to investigate Iran leak

'Al-Jarida' alleges Dagan, Diskin are part of political campaign against PM, Barak that recruited journalists, opposition politicians.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
November 3, 2011 12:12
1 minute read.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu in the Knesset

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu in the Knesset 311 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu ordered Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) chief Yoram Cohen to investigate leaks about government discussions on the possibility of a military strike on Iran, Kuwaiti newspaper Al-Jarida reported Thursday.

The newspaper, which has been the recipient of Israeli government leaks in the past, alleged that former security officials had enlisted journalists and opposition politicians to launch a political campaign against Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak on the Iranian issue.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Analysis: What is the ‘real’ Israeli stance on Iran?
'Public discussion of Iran strike is 'reckless, damaging''
IAF completes major drill in Italy amid Iran attack rumors

The leaked reports about discussion in the government, the report added, are all false.

Four Israeli cabinet ministers went on the offensive Wednesday accusing the media of unprecedented recklessness in discussing publicly the prospects of a strike on Iran. "There has never been a breakdown of responsibility and a campaign of recklessness like there is today, Minister-without-portfolio Benny Begin said to Army Radio.

Public officials, he said seemingly attacking Former Mossad chief Meir Dagan's numerous public statements in recent months on the Iranian issue, are sworn "to guard state secrets forever, also after they leave their positions."

Last week, Israeli daily Yediot Ahronot ran a front-page column entitled, "Atomic Pressure," which alleged that Netanyahu and Barak are in the midst of a campaign to convince cabinet ministers of the necessity of striking Iran's nuclear program.

Dagan and former Shin Bet head Yuval Diskin, the Al-Jarida report alleged, were responsible for the media and political campaign, for which it said opposition leader Tzipi Livni was recruited. Livni's role, it said was to accuse Barak and Netanyahu of "adventurism and gambling with national interests."

In her speech in the opening plenum of the the Knesset earlier this week, Livni directly addressed Netanyahu, telling him to "listen to your security chiefs" about Iran.

The Prime Minister's Office denied the Al-Jarida report, according to Israel Radio.

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN