'Mistakes of Gush Katif cannot be repeated in Migron'

Minister urges government to find resolution, warns against "abandoning" outpost and repeating "Gush Katif episode."

By
April 1, 2012 14:36
1 minute read.
West Bank outpost [illustrative]

Migron outpost aerial_311. (photo credit: Baz Ratner / Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The government must find an appropriate solution for Migron residents, Energy and Water Minister Uzi Landau said during an Israel Beiteinu tour of the outpost on Sunday.

“The government sent the settlers here, paved their roads and set up infrastructure and cannot abandon them now,” Landau stated. “The High Court decision must be upheld, but we cannot recreate the Gush Katif phenomenon, in which thousands of residents were removed from their homes, and seven years later there still is not an appropriate solution for them.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Last week, the High Court ordered the state to evacuate the Migron outpost by August 1 because it was built on private Palestinian land.

The court also rejected a government petition to delay the outpost’s destruction until 2015, so that new homes could be built for the settlers.

Earlier in March, the government signed an agreement with Migron residents to rebuild their outpost on state land two kilometers away, near the Psagot winery.

Landau, along with Immigration Absorption Minister Sofa Landver, Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon and Israel Beiteinu MKs Robert Ilatov, David Rotem and Moshe Matalon, toured Migron with Binyamin Regional Council chairman Avi Roeh and residents of the outpost.

Migron council member Elkana Bavad told the Israel Beiteinu ministers and MKs that the government and the settlers came to an agreement, and it must be upheld.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Roeh thanked the group for visiting, and asked for full support from the party, so that Migron residents know that they have not been abandoned.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN