Kadima leader Shaul Mofaz 370 (R).
(photo credit: Reuters / Pool)
Opposition leader Shaul Mofaz said on Thursday that the settlers of
Migron should follow the law and evacuate the settlement peacefully.
an interview with Israel Radio, Mofaz said the problem was not Migron,
but the political inaction of the prime minister who has declared his
commitment to the two-state solution, but has not embarked upon the
"I am more concerned about us being a bi-national state than I am about a nuclear Iran," Mofaz commented.
Likud MK Danny Danon attacked the High Court of Justice's decision to
evacuate Migron and said that if the settlers were Palestinians or
Sudanese, the decision would be different.
Danon called on the prime minister to immediately adopt the Justice Edmond Levy report
, that has stated that there is "no occupation."
Migron residents called on their supporters Wednesday to protest the
High Court of Justice ruling
that all 50 families in the West Bank outpost
evacuate their homes no later than September 4.
The court’s decision
appears to mark the end of Migron residents’ long legal battle to retain their
Four Migron residents and Binyamin Regional Council head Avi Ro’eh
held a brief press conference in the community’s small kindergarten classroom. “We are calling on every Israeli citizen to protest
the injustice that was done here. It does not matter if they are left- or
right-wing,” said Migron resident Shuki Sat.
But residents who spoke at
the press conference did not clarify what they meant by the word
Nor would they commit to leaving of their own volition, as
mandated by the court. In a document submitted to the court earlier this week,
in advance of the judgement, they stated that they had no intention of acting
Migron resident Itai Chemo said that no decision had been
taken with respect to leaving their homes.
The Defense Ministry told the media they were
ready to help the residents relocate to a site that has been prepared for them,
two kilometers away near the Psagot winery.
Weinstein issued a plea to Migron residents and their leaders to refrain from
inflammatory actions and to act responsibly by respecting the rule of law.
Weinstein called on the Migron families to relocate peacefully, adding that he
understood the court’s decision was not an easy one for Migron
At the press conference, Sat said, “This is a black day for
Israeli democracy. It is a day when the government has trampled on the basic
rights of its citizens and has betrayed the principles of its party, the Likud,
and its land.”
“The prime minister has now joined some of his
predecessors who raised a hand against the settlement enterprise. We are
certain that his voters will even the score,” Sat said.
will continue to settle the land, and on this hilltop in the future, two
settlements will exist, he said.
The High Court of Justice had ordered the outpost’s demolition in
the summer of 2011 because it was built without permits on land classified by
the state as belonging to private Palestinians.
Last month, Migron
residents petitioned the court to allow 17 of the families to remain there,
claiming that they had purchased the three plots of land on which their homes
stood from the Palestinian owners.
On Wednesday, however, the court
rejected their petition.
But it did agree to allow the buildings on lot
10 to remain for 90 days, to allow time to investigate the validity of the
The court, however, said that the families must leave
because it agreed with the state’s opinion that there was no legal possibility
for Israelis to live on that lot of land, without infringing on the rights of
Palestinians who owned the abutting lots.Tovah Lazaroff contributed to this report