Olmert spokesman: Verbal PA agreement was reached

Jacob Galanti confirms former PM came close to signing agreement with Abbas in 2008, including allowing return of 5,000 Palestinian refugees.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
January 24, 2011 10:26
1 minute read.
President G.W. Bush with Olmert and Abbas

311_ Bush, olmert and abbas. (photo credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A spokesman for former-prime minister Ehud Olmert on Monday confirmed the details of documents released Sunday which detail Olmert’s “Package Offer" to Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas in August 2008.

During an interview with Army Radio, Jacob Galanti confirmed that Olmert had reached final agreements regarding settlements and Jerusalem. "He did not leave any subject open," Galanti said during the interview.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Crowley: US cannot vouch for 'Palestine Papers' veracity
Abbas: We reached deal with Olmert on security

He also confirmed that Olmert had agreed to a proposal that would have seen 1,000 Palestinain refugees given the approval to return to Israel over a space of five years. This would have resulted in a total of 5,000 refugees whose entrance into Israel would have been based on certain criteria and humanitarian grounds.


When asked why the agreements were not eventually signed, Galanti could not give a specific reason but did explain that elections in both Israel and the US may have had an effect on the breakdown of negotiations. He said that a verbal agreement had been reached and specific maps were discussed, however "I still do not understand why the Palestinians did not sign at the end of the day."

Regarding reports that Israel had warned the Palestinian Authority of Operation Cast Lead, Olmert's communications chief said that he could not confirm if this was true.

Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat on Monday also reacted to the plan regarding Jerusalem, and reiterated that the capital needs to remain united and can not be divided.

"Jerusalem has Jewish and Arab residents, secular and orthodox. We need to take care of all our residents and need make sure that development of the city continues," Barkat said during an interview with Army Radio.



Click here for full Jpost coverage of

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN