Quartet officials coming to restart peace talks

Latest effort to restart negotiations comes 3 days after missed deadline for first direct meeting Quartet called for in framework for renewed talks.

By
October 26, 2011 03:15
2 minute read.
Tony Blair

tony blair presidential conference 2009. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Quartet officials will take yet another stab over the next two days at kick-starting the stalemated diplomatic process, meeting separately in Jerusalem with Israeli and Palestinian representatives in an effort to convince the latter to agree to a direct meeting.

The Quartet officials – expected to include Quartet envoy Tony Blair, US envoy David Hale, Helga Schmid from the EU, the UN’s Robert Serry, and a Russian representative – are scheduled to meet on Wednesday with Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
PA: We don’t want goodwill gestures
Erekat tells Quartet Israel is impeding peace

A meeting originally planned for Wednesday with Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu’s envoy Yitzhak Molcho may now not take place until Thursday because Molcho is expected to be in Egypt on Wednesday facilitating the exchange of Ilan Grapel for 25 Egyptian prisoners.

The latest effort at restarting negotiations comes three days after the sides missed a deadline for the first direct meeting the Quartet called for in its framework for returning to talks, which it released at the UN on September 23. That framework calls for an agreement between the two sides by the end of 2012.

On the eve of the Quartet meetings, an Israeli government source said that Israel embraced the Quartet call “for a resumption of talks without preconditions, and hope that the Quartet officials will expedite that goal.”

Asked about various reports over the last few days that Netanyahu might be willing to curtail settlement construction to bring the Palestinians back to the negotiating table, the official would say only that as the diplomatic process progresses, “Israel will be willing to show good faith.”



At the same time, the official said that the Palestinian Authority cannot abandon negotiations, take unilateral moves at the UN, and then “ask us to behave as if they are a peace partner.”

The PA has said repeatedly it will only reenter direct talks if Israel freezes all settlement construction beyond the Green Line, and agrees that the baseline of the future talks will be a Palestinian state within the pre-1967 lines.

Even before the Quartet team arrived, Maja Kocijancic, a spokeswoman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, was quoted by AFP as chiding Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman for saying a day earlier that it would be a “blessing” if PA President Mahmoud Abbas carried out his oft-repeated threat and resigned.

Lieberman’s remarks, she said, “are regrettably not helpful to create the environment of trust conducive to negotiations.” The EU valued Abbas’s “central role” and commitment “to a just and lasting resolution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict,” Kocijancic said.

President Shimon Peres also alluded to Lieberman’s comments, saying during a meeting with a group including US actor Jason Alexander that the PA leadership headed by Abbas and Prime Minister Salam Fayyad, was “professional, serious and wants peace.” Israel “must continue to negotiate with [Abbas], who represents moderate forces,” Peres said.

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN