State asks court for delay in giving Migron position

Gov't requests one-day extension saying it only received all relevant information hours before the previous deadline.

By
August 19, 2012 14:39
1 minute read.
Migron outpost

Migron outpost 370. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The state on Sunday requested a one-day extension, until 4 p.m. Monday, for filing its position regarding the Migron controversy with the High Court of Justice.

The request for an extension said that the state had only received all of the information it needed to finalize its legal brief on Sunday and that it needed an additional day to incorporate the new material into its brief.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


It is anticipated that the state will seek a 90-day delay for removing the Migron buildings, while still demanding that the residents leave by August 28.

Previously, the High Court ordered the state to remove the buildings, holding that that they were built without permits what the state has classified as private Palestinian land.

Migron residents initially said they had purchased some of the lots and that other portions of the outpost could be reclassified as abandoned property. The court did not uphold those claims.

In July, Migron residents petitioned the court against the evacuation, claiming they had repurchased a portion of the outpost on which the homes are located.

Initially, the state told the court that there was no reason to remove those homes if the court upheld the repurchase claim.



But the Ministerial Settlements Committee amended that response earlier this month, after Attorney-General Yehuda Weinstein found its initial stance to be legally problematic.

According to a source in the committee’s meeting, the purchase claim involves three tracts of land, which the committee has referred as sections 2, 10, 23.

Section 2 is completely surrounded by Palestinian property and can only be accessed through that property. In section 23, settlers were only able to buy 25 percent of the property.

The committee therefore decided not to ask the court to amend its rulings regarding either tract of land. With respect to the third tract, section 10, however, it agreed to ask the court for a 90-day delay.

Migron spokesman Itai Chemo said in response to the decision by the Ministerial Settlements Committee that it was clear that the land had been purchased. He said the actions of the State Attorney’s Office in pushing to destroy the outpost stemmed not from the pursuit of justice, but from a “lust for destruction.”

Tovah Lazaroff contributed to this report.

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN