'Turkey slams Israel for continued W. Bank building'

In response to publishing of tenders for settlement units, Ankara says "illegal actions on invaded lands are unacceptable,” report says.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
July 26, 2011 02:46
1 minute read.
Israeli flag over settlements (illustrative).

Israeli flag flutters over settlement of Ofra 311 R. (photo credit: Laszlo Balogh / Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Turkish Foreign Ministry has strongly condemned Israel for continuing to approve the building of new homes in West Bank settlements, Turkish newspaper Hurriyet reported on Monday.

“Israel’s illegal actions on the lands it has invaded are unacceptable,” a Turkish Foreign Ministry statement said in response to the Ministry of Housing and Construction's publishing of tenders for 336 settlement units last week.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
PM calls on opposition to support housing measures
'France slams plan for e. J'lem housing expansion'

“This decision will deepen the suspicions of Israel’s sincerity in pushing the peace process forward,” the statement added, according to the newspaper. “We stress that we don’t recognize the illegal steps Israel is taking, challenging international law.”

The statement represents a further blow to the already strained relationship between the two countries, which has come under close scrutiny in the run up to the publication of the UN report into the IDF raid on the Turkish Mavi Marmara ship last year.

According to the Ministry of Housing and Construction, 294 new homes will be built in the Beitar Illit settlement just outside of Jerusalem and 42 in the Karnei Shomron settlement outside of Kfar Sava.

News of the possible authorization of the homes was first released in May and has been reported on several times since then. The Beitar Illit homes were actually approved by the Defense Ministry in April.

Both West Bank Jewish communities are located within the settlement blocs. Israel believes that both settlements will be included in Israel permanent borders once an final status agreement is reached with the Palestinians.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


New construction in both communities has effectively been frozen, since both settlements had began work on all of their authorized housing.

Tovah Lazaroff contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN