(photo credit: YouTube screenshot)
Reacting to the triple terror attacks near Eilat
that killed seven Israelis Thursday afternoon, the United States
Embassy in Tel Aviv described the attacks as what appeared to be "a
brutal and cowardly act of terrorism."
'Eilat bus ambush unlikely to have come from Egypt'
Police beef up forces, call on public to be vigilant
In a statement posted
online, the embassy said that "the American people and the Israeli
people stand united against terror and we hope that those involved in
the planning of this gruesome attack will be brought to swift justice."
in the day, as the attack was still developing, the embassy put out a
statement on its official Facebook page that it was following reports
and hoping that no lives were lost.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on strongly condemned the attacks which killed seven people and wounded dozens more in the South earlier in the day.
"The secretary-general hopes that the perpetrators are swiftly identified and brought to justice. He is concerned at the risk of escalation and calls for all to act with restraint," a UN statement said.
Ban expressed his condolences to the families of the victims and wished a speedy recovery to the injured.
German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwille also condemned the three-staged terror attack.
"I strongly condemn the series of terror attacks in the South," Westerwelle said in a statement.
this difficult hour we stand by the side of our Israeli friends. Those
responsible must be prosecuted. Terror and violence must not be allowed
to torpedo peace and negotiation efforts in the Middle East," he added.Yaakov Katz contributed to this report