Ya’alon sent last week to Geneva for talks with Turks

Likud minister told Turks that Israel would be willing to pay compensation to 'Marmara' victims' families, but not apologize, Channel 2 reports.

By
June 23, 2011 22:12
1 minute read.
Strategic Affairs Minister Moshe 'Bogie' Ya'alon.

yaalon office 311. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu dispatched Strategic Affairs Minister Moshe Ya’alon to Geneva in recent days for talks with the director-general of the Turkish foreign ministry regarding ways of patching up the badly strained relations between the two countries.

The Turks are demanding that Israel both apologize for the Mavi Marmara incident last May when nine Turks were killed trying to break Israel’s naval blockade of the Gaza Strip, and pay compensation to the victim’s families.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
'Turkey asks for names of 'Mavi Marmara' raid soldiers'
'Apology and compensation for flotilla raid are red line'

According to a Channel 2 report, Ya’alon discussed how to restore relations, and said that Israel would be willing to pay compensation to the families, but not apologize. Israel has said that it would, however, be willing to express “regret” for the incident. Both the Israeli and Turkish representatives on the UN panel investigating the incident were also present at the talks.

Similar talks were held, but failed to lead to a breakthrough, after the Turks sent planes to help put out the Carmel Forest fire last December.

Channel 2 said that Turkish sources were furious that news of the latest talks were leaked, and insisted that the discussion were only about their demand that Israel apologize.

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN