(photo credit: Yael Ilan)
WILD MUSHROOM POTATO LATKES
1-1/2 cups of wild mushrooms
1 clove garlic
Olive oil for sautéing
3 cups of grated potato, squeezed dry
4 tablespoons grated yellow onion
Ground nutmeg to taste
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 eggs, scrambled
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
1. In a hot pan, sauté the mushrooms in olive oil and garlic until the mushrooms are fully cooked and take on some color. Cool and then cut them into a dice.
2. In a large bowl, add the dry potato, grated onion, nutmeg, eggs, salt and pepper, and the tarragon. Mix well. Squeeze the mushrooms of the excess liquid and then add to the bowl.
3. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Heat a pan with about one quarter inch of oil. Form the latke mix into the size of a small hockey puck.
4. Fry the latkes until a golden brown on each side. Place the latkes on a parchment paper lined sheet pan and then finish them in the oven for about 10 minutes.
5. Top the finished latkes with the wild mushrooms or any traditional topping of your choice.