The ribbon-cutting ceremony to open the renovated MadaTech garden.
(photo credit: MERAV SHANI ISRAELI)
Located in the front courtyard of the MadaTech building in Haifa is an impressive garden. In recent years, the garden was neglected and deserted. With the support of Friends of JNF-KKL Germany, the garden’s renovation was recently completed, and its inauguration ceremony was held on March 26, 2018, in the presence of MadaTech’s Chairman & CEO, the Mayor of Haifa, the President of the Technion, and a representative of JNF-KKL Germany.
See photos, read more about the historic MadaTech garden inauguration
MadaTech, the National Museum of Science, Technology and Space, is Israel’s largest science museum, and is located in the Hadar neighborhood on Haifa’s Mount Carmel, on an area of 2.8 hectares. The MadaTech is housed in a historic landmark, a structure that was originally designed in 1910 by Jewish-German architect Alexander Bervald to serve as the home of the Technion. The building served as the Technion’s campus from 1925 to 1965, following which it housed the Faculty of Architecture until 1985. In 1986, the building was vacated and converted into a Science Museum, and was restored and preserved according to Bervald’s original plans. Standing in the campus’s northern garden is a palm tree that was planted by Albert Einstein during his visit to Israel in 1923, as well as the central boulevard, which was upgraded and restored by KKL-JNF with the support of Friends of JNF-KKL Germany.Until recently, the impressive garden of trees was deserted and neglected. At the initiative of the MadaTech team, and with the help of Friends of JNF-KKL Germany, a comprehensive restoration program for the garden was undertaken. Upon its completion, the garden was inaugurated on March 26th 2018 in a festive ceremony, which included a fair and fun family activities.
Over the course of the renovations, a huge stone cavern, dug by the Turks to supply water to the city, was discovered under the building’s front courtyard. The renovation team decided to preserve this important historic relic, and KKL-JNF obtained additional funding to install a secure glass ceiling through which the impressive display can safety be seen.