Child safety experts seek law barring sale of dangerous water heaters, kettles

Bill aims to protect children from accidental burns, disfigurement and even death.

By
December 5, 2005 23:54
2 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The National Center for Child Safety and Health, Beterem, demands that the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Employment withdraw its objections to a bill aimed at protecting thousands of children from accidental burns, disfigurement and even death. The private member's bill was presented by MK Arye Eldad, who in private life is a maxillofacial surgeon and burns expert on leave from Hadassah-University Medical Center in Jerusalem's Ein Kerem. The bill would require all water boilers to heat their water below 50 Celsius and bar the sale of electric kettles and samovars whose lids are not locked on the top to prevent scalding water from pouring out if tipped over. Every year, some 1,400 children - 1,000 of them under the age of five - are hospitalized with injuries from burns from such household appliances. Many suffer permanent scars as a result. Many of them are children from large religious Jewish families whose electric samovar or kettle is left on over Shabbat. Beterem won support from the Israel Plastic Surgeons Society and the Israel Pediatrics Society in calling on the ministry to back the legislation. It is due to be raised in the Knesset Labor, Social Affairs and Health Committee on Tuesday to prepare it for its first reading. The ministry, headed by Ehud Olmert, who also serves as finance minister, has opposed the bill because it wants the requirements set down only in Israel Standards Institute regulations and not in a law. But Beterem argues that a law is preferable because experience shows that agreeing on standards is very complicated and takes a much longer time. If the bill is not voted on in the Knesset committee this week, before the Knesset is dispersed, the entire process will have to start all over again, Beterem director-general Dr. Michal Hemmo-Lotem said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

[illustrative photo]
September 24, 2011
Diabetes may significantly increase risk of dementia

By UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN HEALTH SYSTEM