UH president gives, gets his own medicine

Beer rushes to an emergency call at a special-needs daycare center in Jerusalem, where there is an unconscious toddler.

March 2, 2012 02:37
1 minute read.
United Hatzalah president Eli Beer

United Hatzalah president Eli Beer_390. (photo credit: Untied Hatzalah)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail kept United Hatzalah (UH) founder and president Eli Beer from his appointed rounds rescuing people in trouble on Thursday.

Beer was rushing to an emergency call at a special-needs daycare center in Jerusalem’s Ramot quarter, where there was an unconscious toddler, when he missed a step and twisted his leg. He managed to get to his car, drive to the emergency, join three other UH medics already on the scene and wait for the ambulance to evacuate the toddler.

The 16-month-old child had turned blue and was in critical respiratory distress and suffering from febrile seizures. He was given oxygen, intravenous fluids and medications and is doing well; the UH team, including Beer, saved his life.

After the boy was cared for, Beer called for a UH ambulance to evacuate him, but on the way, there was an accident involving two vehicles that collided on nearby Route 443. Instead of going for treatment, Beer insisted that the driver take him to the scene of the crash, which involved three victims.

One was treated while still trapped in his vehicle but all were eventually extricated, treated and evacuated with only minor injuries. The UH crew returned to its patient but clearly suffering boss.

Beer’s ankle had ballooned to twice its normal size and any movement caused significant pain. The team cushioned his ankle in a pillow and transported him to the orthopedic ward at Jerusalem’s Shaare Zedek Medical Center.

Orthopedic specialist Dr. Michael Herman said he was shocked to see that his most recent patient was head of the organization with which he volunteers. He diagnosed a serious sprained ankle, sent Beer to get a cast and prescribed 10 days off his feet.

The UH founder and president visited the toddler at Shaare Zedek after both had recuperated sufficiently.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Weizmann scientists bring nature back to artificially selected lab mice