building on fire.
(photo credit: illustrative)
At least 10 schoolchildren were charred to death and many others injured in a fire at a hostel in India's remote northeastern Arunachal Pradesh state, a local official said Thursday.
The fire broke out late Wednesday in a building in which the children's hostel was located in Palin, a small town in Koloriang district, said Remo Kamki, the district magistrate.
The fire was most likely caused when the children used candles during a power outage, he said.
Local residents helped put out the fire and took the injured, some of whom were badly burned, to a nearby hospital, he said.
Palin is a four-hour drive from the district headquarters, Koloriang,
and is so remote that it does not have any telephone connections.