10 killed in fire at S. Korean deportation center

By
February 11, 2007 05:25

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A fire at a detention center in South Korea killed 10 foreigners and injured 17 others, mostly Chinese, who were waiting deportation for illegal entry, a fire department official said Sunday. Nine Chinese and one Uzbeck were killed in the pre-dawn fire at the detention center in Yeosu, some 455 kilometers south of Seoul, said the official said. The 17 injured were mostly Chinese, he said. The exact cause of the fire, which started on the third floor of the four-story building, was not yet known, police said. Yonhap news agency said the center was holding 55 foreigners, mostly Chinese and that the rest of the detainees had been safely rescued.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Protesters with painted faces pray in Cambodia
November 16, 2018
U.N.-Cambodia convicts two ex-Khmer Rouge leaders of genocide

By REUTERS