14 years on, no healing for families of 9/11 victims

Commemoration ceremonies were held all over the United States on Friday.

September 13, 2015 01:57
3 minute read.
DENISE MATUZA holds her husband’s picture at the memorial on Friday. He died in the North tower

DENISE MATUZA holds her husband’s picture at the memorial on Friday. He died in the North tower 14 years ago. (photo credit: DANIELLE ZIRI)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


NEW YORK – Eric Kondratenko, 69, a contractor from Romeo, Michigan, went to work early on September 11, 2001. Around 9 a.m., the truck drivers where he worked delivered the news: A plane had hit the World Trade Center in New York City.

Fourteen years later, Kondratenko sat near a tree at the 9/11 Memorial in Manhattan, waiting for the annual tribute ceremony to begin. He attends the event every year, in memory of his daughter Suzanne who was killed in the attacks.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Suzanne, 27, was based in Chicago, but since April 2001 she had been flying to New York regularly for her job. She was due to come home on September 12, for her sister’s wedding shower.

“She was on the 92nd floor of the South tower, working as a consultant. She worked for Keane Consulting Group,” Kondratenko told The Jerusalem Post, holding a picture of Suzanne, displaying a wide smile, youthful rosy cheeks and neatly applied red lipstick.

“Her co-workers called her a spitfire,” he said with a smile, “She was full of life.”

On that day, as the plane hit the North tower, Suzanne and her colleagues decided to leave their desks and make their way down the South building.

“On the 74th floor there was a platform, where you switch elevators, and there they were told to return upstairs, that they’d be safe,” her father explained. “The number 74 is also stuck in my head because that’s the year she was born. March 3, 1974.”


Kondratenko and a few dozen other relatives of 9/11 victims gathered at the memorial site on Friday. Over the years, the amount of people attending the ceremony has gone down significantly.

The official ceremony begun with a moment of silence at 8:46, the time when American Airlines Flight 11 crashed into the first tower. Family members read out the names of the nearly 3,000 fatalities, and observed moments of silence marking events that unfolded that day, 14 years ago.

Denise Matuza and her three sons, from Staten Island, came. Matuza’s husband, Walter, worked as a telecommunications analyst in the North tower.

“We love coming down here, we love to get together with everybody that’s in the same situation as us,” she said. “This is peaceful for us, it’s not stressful. This is where we do find peace.”

Denise and her family have found some peace in their bond with other families of 9/11 victims, but the memory of that day remains vivid.

“My best friend called me and said that a plane had hit the towers,” Matuza recalled, “Walter was in the towers, he had to get out.”

Soon, Walter Matuza called. He didn’t seem too worried. He had already gone through the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and seemed confident he’d manage to escape.

“He said that he was gonna get out and he was coming home, but he never came home,” Denise told the Post.

The next day she found an email her husband had sent her from his office before he died.

“He said that he couldn’t get out of the building, that the doors were locked and that they were waiting for the firefighters to come rescue them, and that was it,” she said.

“Some parts it feels like yesterday and some parts it feels like it happened so long ago,” Denise said, “The kids will never get over it. You just learn to move on, to do new things, you learn to adjust.”

It took almost a decade to finish the construction of the 9/11 Memorial. It is composed of two square pools, representing the fall of the twin towers.

On the edges, engraved in bronze, are the names of those who died.

The barriers surrounding the pools were recently taken down, and the site turned into a public space.

“We don’t like that it’s become a tourist attraction,” Matuza said. “People come here, they take pictures, they eat, they sit around, but it’s not a happy thing to be here, it’s a place to memorialize those we lost.”

Commemoration ceremonies were held all over the United States on Friday.

In New York, the largest free-flying American flag in the world, 90 feet (27.4 meters) by 60 feet (18.3 meters), was displayed on the George Washington Bridge for several hours.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

October 17, 2018
German center for antisemitism research hires alleged ‘antisemite’