5 British men convicted of planning terror attacks

Details kept secret during the trial link the five to group responsible for 7/7 London transit bombings.

April 30, 2007 13:49
1 minute read.
jpost services and tools

jp.services2. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A jury found five men guilty Monday of plotting to use a 590-kilogram fertilizer bomb to attack a London nightclub, power plants or a shopping mall. The year-long trial was Britain's longest-ever terror case. Details that were kept secret to ensure a fair trial have now been revealed, showing ties between the five and a group who was responsible for the 7/7 London transit system bombings in 2005, as well as with other al-Qaida linked cells. Omar Khyam was found guilty of conspiracy to cause explosions made from chemical fertilizer which would endanger life. Also found guilty in the conspiracy were Anthony Garcia, Jawad Akbar, Waheed Mahmood and Alahuddin Amin. Two others, Nabeel Hussain and Shujah Mahmood, were cleared of conspiracy to cause explosions. The defendants, who had looked relaxed and were smiling as they were led into the court, became somber as the verdicts were read. The foreman read the verdicts after a record of nearly 135 hours of deliberation over 27 days. The judge, Sir Michael Astill, rejected defense claims that the plot had been abandoned. "This was a conspiracy that did not come to fruition, no doubt because of the intervention of the security services," Astill said. Shujah Mahmood gave a sigh of relief after being found innocent. He wiped an eye as he was led to the cells to complete the formalities. Hussain immediately bent down to the floor as the verdict was read. The five men who were convicted showed no emotion.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

People pass the Museum of the Bible opening in Washington, DC
October 23, 2018
DC Bible Museum pulls fake Dead Sea scrolls