A new explosion tore through a mine as workers were searching for bodies from last month's deadly blast, killing five people and injuring dozens, officials said Monday.
The blast late Sunday was the third at the massive Zasyadko mine in the eastern city of Donetsk, where 101 miners died on Nov. 18 in Ukraine's worst mining disaster since the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Five people were killed and 66 injured in Sunday's explosion, said Marina Nikitina, a local officer with the federal industrial safety agency.
President Viktor Yushchenko ordered the mine closed. He demanded the mine shut until authorities determine the cause of the blasts and investigate those responsible, a statement on the presidential Web site said.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>