Australia grants 3 former Iraqi diplomats asylum

By
August 16, 2007 04:59

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Australia's decision to grant asylum to three former Iraqi diplomats and their families would not create a precedent for other Iraqis who want to flee their embattled homeland, the foreign minister said Thursday. Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said that the three, who were attached to the Iraqi embassy in Canberra before they were recalled in December last year, were granted asylum on humanitarian grounds. While Downer did not detail the reasons, he said the decision did not mean that all Iraqis who do not want to return to their homeland could successfully apply for asylum. "It's not a generic decision; it's a decision that relates to the circumstances of those three individual people," Downer told reporters, adding that Baghdad had not protested the decision.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

National security advisor John Bolton at press conference at King David
September 26, 2018
Bolton threatens Iranian generals: We will come after you

By MICHAEL WILNER