Australia says Israel refused to facilitate evacuation

Australian FM: "The Israelis have so far said that this was a war zone, that they wouldn't agree to our requests."

By
July 18, 2006 11:30
Australia says Israel refused to facilitate evacuation

downer 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Israel has refused a request for a short cease-fire or a safe corridor in Lebanon to allow the evacuation of foreign nationals, Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said Tuesday. "The Israelis have so far said that this was a war zone, that they wouldn't agree to our requests," Downer said. Up to 5,000 Australians have registered with the Australian Embassy in Lebanon, and about 25,000 dual Australian-Lebanese citizens are believed to be living there, Australian media have reported. Four buses carrying 90 to 100 Australian citizens left Beirut on Tuesday for Syria, Downer said, adding that the Australian government hopes to charter a ship for 300 to 600 more evacuees Wednesday. "We have asked the Israelis whether it would be possible for there to be a short cease-fire in order to enable our nationals and other foreign nationals to get out of southern Lebanon," Downer said. "We have also put it to them that it would be helpful if there were to be some sort of a safe corridor that these people could move out." Britain has agreed to allow some Australians to board one of its warships dispatched to evacuate Britons from Lebanon.

Related Content

People walk past a building one day after air strikes destroyed it in Sanaa, Yemen June 6, 2018.
July 18, 2018
The Damage Of Dammaj: How Sectarian Tensions Fuel ISIS In Yemen

By FELICE FRIEDSON AND JOSHUA A. HOLMES/THE MEDIA LINE