Benazir Bhutto 224.88.
(photo credit: AP)
Former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto said Friday she had prior warning that suicide squads would try to kill her upon returning home, and that there were at least two attackers in the deadly bombing that killed more than 130.
She said telephone numbers of suicide squads had been given to her by a "brotherly" country and she alerted Gen. Pervez Musharraf in a letter dated October 16. She said one squad was pro-Taliban, the other linked to al-Qaida.
Bhutto said the next attack against her would target her homes in Karachi and her hometown of Larkana, using attackers posing as supporters of a rival political faction.
She said she was confident the government would take measures to prevent it, but noted it was suspicious that streetlights failed after sunset Thursday when her convoy was inching its way through the streets of Karachi.
"I'm not accusing the government, but certain individuals who abuse their positions and powers," she said.
She blamed the attack on terrorists trying to quash democratic reforms.
"A minority wants to hijack the destiny of this great nation, and we will not be intimidated by this minority," she told reporters at her Karachi house. "This is a battle for democracy. We wish it to be peaceful. We wish it to be political, which is why, my party and I ... have entered into political negotiations with Gen. Musharraf's regime."