Bulgaria bus bomb 390.
(photo credit: REUTERS)
Bulgaria’s Interior Minister Tsvetlin Yovchev said Wednesday that his country
has received additional evidence implicating Hezbollah in the 2012 bus bombing
in Burgas that killed five Israeli tourists and their Bulgarian bus driver,
Sofia News Agency reported.
Thursday marks the oneyear anniversary of the
Yovchev who was speaking at a briefing, said that he would not
provide any details of the evidence as the investigation was ongoing, according
to the report.
But the interior minister said that “there was no doubt
who masterminded the act, only the ID of the perpetrator remained
He said that there was no change in Bulgaria’s position on the
bombing and that Bulgaria “has leads pointing to Hezbollah.”
The EU is to
hold meetings this week, ahead of its foreign ministers’ meeting on Monday, in
an effort to marshal a consensus to include Hezbollah’s armed wing on its terror
There is cautious optimism among EU and Israeli diplomats that
Europe will sanction a part of Hezbollah.
A diplomat from a country in
favor of a Hezbollah ban said a “consensus is clearly building” because “the
evidence that it [Hezbollah] committed terrorism on EU soil is strong,” AFP
reported on Tuesday.
The diplomat appeared to reference the evidence
linking Hezbollah to last year’s bus bombing.
Bulgaria said last month
that it only had an “indication” that Lebanon’s Hezbollah might have been behind
the deadly bus bombing last July and that this alone did not justify any EU move
to list it as a terrorist group.
“It is important that the [EU] decision
be based not only on the bombing in Burgas, because I think the evidence we have
is not explicit,” Foreign Minister Kristian Vigenin, told national state radio
BNR in June.
Reuters, Jonny Paul and Benjamin Weinthal contributed to
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>