Bush to spell out plans for Iraq on Wednesday

By
January 8, 2007 17:55
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

President George W. Bush will address the United States on Wednesday about his new approach for the war in Iraq, the White House said. Bush is expected to announce an increase of up to 20,000 additional US troops. Bush's decisions, more than two months in the making, are already drawing criticism from new Democratic leaders in Congress who say it is time to begin ending the war, not to send in more US forces. Now in its fourth year, the war has claimed the lives of more than 3,000 members of the US military and many thousands of Iraqis and was a major factor in the Republicans' loss of Congress in the November election. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House leader Nancy Pelosi told Bush in a letter last week that "we do not believe that adding more US combat troops contributes to success." White House press secretary Tony Snow said Monday that Bush "understands there is a lot of public anxiety" about the war. On the other hand, he said that Americans "don't want another September 11" type of terrorist attack and that it is wiser to confront terrorists overseas in Iraq and other battlegrounds rather than in the United States. Snow said the White House welcomes a debate about Bush's new policy. "I think it's important to get congressional support," the spokesman said. Pelosi is cautioning Bush to think twice before proposing a troop increase in Iraq, suggesting the new Democratic-controlled Congress could deny him the funding.

Related Content

A picture illustration shows a Facebook logo reflected in a person's eye
August 22, 2018
Facebook: Iran behind new disinformation social network

By MICHAEL WILNER