Chinese coal mine blast kills 62, 13 missing

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
December 8, 2005 04:00

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A coal mine blast in northern China left at least 62 workers dead and another 13 missing, a government official said Thursday, marking the third massive coal mine disaster to hit China's disaster-plagued industry in recent weeks. The explosion occurred Wednesday at the privately run Liuguantun Colliery in Tangshan, a city in Hebei province, when 186 miners were underground, said an official with the Tangshan Coal Mine and Safety Bureau who would only give his surname Zhang. Eighty-two managed escaped on their own and 32 miners were immediately rescued but three of those later died, Zhang said. The bodies of 59 miners had been recovered from the mine by early Thursday, bringing the death toll to 62, he said. Rescuers were searching for 13 still trapped in the mine.



More about:Hebei

Related Content

Police officers stand at a cordon after a car crashed outside the Houses of Parliament in Westminste
August 14, 2018
UK parliament crash treated as terrorism incident, police say

By REUTERS