Chinese miners rescued after 7 days

9 men were trapped in flooded coal mine; TV station says more could be alive.

April 4, 2010 22:12
1 minute read.
Members of the Chinese paramilitary police march p

chinese police mine 311. (photo credit: AP)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


XIANGNING, China — Nine trapped miners were pulled to safety early Monday after spending more than a week trapped in a flooded coal mine in northern China.

The nine men — among 153 trapped since March 28 — were wrapped in blankets, placed in ambulances and rushed to a hospital where teams of doctors and nurses had been standing by for several days.

China Central Television said more people in the Wangjialing mine could still be alive.

It showed images of several miners being taken into the hospital in Hejin city, about 40 minutes from the mine. Their eyes were covered to shield them from the bright lights. Some were hooked up to intravenous drips.

The nine had been trapped since workers broke a wall into a water-filled abandoned shaft, flooding the mine in Shanxi province in northern China. About 3,000 people have worked around the clock since then to pump out the water.

A glimmer of hope emerged Friday when rescuers heard knocking on a pipe that had been drilled into the mine. But no sounds were heard after that as workers frantically pumped water out and sent divers into the mine to scout conditions.

Finally, at 40 minutes past midnight Monday the first survivor was brought to the surface. A crowd of people outside the entrance of the mine shaft clapped as the miners were carried out.

Reporters who did not belong to state media were prevented from getting close to the site.

It was not immediately known if there were any other survivors, but the official Xinhua News Agency reported that swaying lamp lights were seen at the other side of a V-shaped shaft in the mine.

It said the bottom of the V-shaped shaft had emerged as the water level fell.

A preliminary investigation found that the mine's managers ignored water leaks before the accident, the State Administration of Work Safety said.

China's coal mines are the world's deadliest. Accidents killed 2,631 coal miners in China last year, down from 6,995 deaths in 2002, the most dangerous year on record, according to the State Administration of Coal Mine Safety.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

National Security Agency (NSA) headquarters building in Fort Meade, Maryland
May 26, 2019
NSA 'EternalBlue' tool facilitates cyberattacks worldwide including U.S.