Coalition confirms civilian casualties in Afghan clash

20 Afghan civilians wounded in the 16-hour battle in Sangin, including a child who later died of his wounds.

By
May 11, 2007 09:49
1 minute read.
Coalition confirms civilian casualties in Afghan clash

Afghan casualty 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The US-led coalition confirmed a battle between US forces and Taliban militants in southern Afghanistan caused civilian casualties and a joint Afghan-US investigation was under way. The governor of Helmand province has said 21 civilians were killed in airstrikes Tuesday in the Sangin area, though residents said the civilian death toll was higher. In a statement late Thursday, the coalition said it had treated 20 Afghan civilians wounded in the 16-hour battle, including a child who later died of its wounds. "There are confirmed reports of civilian casualties, but it was unclear how many," the statement said. "A joint Afghan and coalition force inquiry is being conducted." Gen. Dan McNeill, the top NATO commander in Afghanistan, told National Public Radio "it does appear there were civilian casualties," but it wasn't clear what caused them. He said it was likely the Taliban militants had been firing on coalition forces from civilian homes. US Special Forces "got into an ambush by a far superior force, and as they tried to work their way through this by shooting and moving, it became clear this was a pretty good size insurgent force who also could shoot and move pretty well," McNeill told NPR. "And eventually the only way they were going (to) get out of it ... was to use airstrikes. It did not dissuade the insurgents," he said. The battle in Sangin marked the third major incident resulting in civilian deaths in the last several months, sparking outrage among Afghans and a warning from President Hamid Karzai that civilian deaths can no longer be tolerated. In March US Marines Special Forces fired on civilians after a suicide attack in eastern Afghanistan, killing 19 civilians and wounding 50. Late last month airstrikes and fighting killed some 50 civilians in the western province of Herat, Afghan and U.N. officials say.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
November 18, 2018
Khashoggi killers possibly took his dismembered body out of country

By REUTERS