Congo: Blast at arms depot kills hundreds

Toll seen as high as 200 dead, many more injured; Congo's defense minister blames blasts on fire in arms depot.

By REUTERS
March 5, 2012 07:01
2 minute read.
Smoke rises in Republic of Congo's capital

Smoke rises in Republic of Congo's capital Brazzaville 390. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BRAZZAVILLE/KINSHASA - Up to 200 people were killed on Sunday when an arms dump exploded in Brazzaville, ripping apart a nearby neighborhood in the Congo Republic's capital, medical and local authorities said.

Hundreds of others were injured by the blasts which rocked the riverside capital around 8 a.m. (0700 GMT), flattening houses near the scene and sending a plume of smoke high above the city.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


A government spokesman said that a short circuit was to blame for the fire that sparked the explosions and promised to move military barracks out of town as a result.

But witnesses reported scenes of carnage on Sunday.

"I saw someone being carried to hospital with their intestines hanging out. They had been hit by a shell," one witness told Reuters as he was leaving the blast zone.

A nearby church, packed with worshippers, collapsed, said one witness.

Corpses, many burned or with missing body parts, were carried into the main city hospital morgue, said a Reuters reporter outside the building. Officials there said they had already counted 136 bodies by mid afternoon.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Many more corpses littered the blast scene, said one soldier. Others are believed to be trapped under houses and other buildings that collapsed during the explosions.

Weeping relatives of the dead gathered outside the main hospital to mourn while others came to look for family members who had scattered in the chaos.

Congo's government, which gave a toll of 146 dead, will pay for the treatment of all the injured and look after orphans, government spokesman Bienvenu Okiemy said.

Betu Bangana, an adviser in the president's office, told Reuters earlier in the day that around 200 people had been killed before later revising the estimate down to 120.

"Some people are still (trapped) in their houses... They're saying the entire neighborhood of Mpila has been destroyed."

Panic spread to Kinshasa, 4 km (2.5 miles) across the Congo River, which separates the former French colony of Congo Republic from the larger Democratic Republic of Congo. The blast was so strong it shattered windows in the neighboring city.

Both governments called for calm.

Congo Republic Defense Minister Charles Zacharie Bowao quickly dismissed any talk of a coup attempt or mutiny, and told state radio the explosions were the result of a fire in the arms depot at the Regiment Blinde base near the city center.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Hassan Rouhani
November 19, 2018
Rouhani: Iran wont yield to U.S. psychological war; continue oil exports

By REUTERS