Death toll in China mine blast rises to 68, 100 missing

Seventy miners rescued by Monday; leadership calls for tighter work safety measures.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 28, 2005 08:13
2 minute read.
crying chinese lady 88 china

crying chinese lady 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An explosion tore through a coal mine in northeast China, leaving at least 68 dead and another 100 missing, the government said, as the country's leadership called for tighter work safety measures. Some 221 miners were underground when the blast occurred late Sunday at the Dongfeng Coal mine in Qitaihe, a city in Heilongjiang province, the official Xinhua News Agency said. Seventy miners had been rescued by Monday, it said. The cause of the blast was under investigation. Other media reports had different numbers for the dead and missing but it was not immediately clear why. A man who answered the telephone at the coal mine said he was too busy to talk and hung up. An official at the Heilongjiang Provincial Coal Mine Safety Supervision Bureau said he had no news of the explosion. "Our staff is at the scene checking out the situation," said the man, who refused to give his name. Xinhua said rescue work was continuing Monday, as managers attempted to figure out exactly how many miners were still underground. State television showed footage of ambulances rushing to the scene and rescue workers escorting a survivor from the mineshaft, his face and clothes covered in soot. The explosion knocked out all ventilation systems, Xinhua said, but they were working again on Monday. The mine is owned by the Heilongjiang Longme Mining (Group) Co., a conglomerate of four state-owned coal businesses in the province, Xinhua said, citing provincial work safety administration officials. China's coal mines are the world's deadliest. Fires, floods, cave-ins and explosions are reported almost daily, and thousands of miners are killed every year despite the government's repeated attempts to improve its record amid lax safety rules and poor equipment. Efforts to shut down dangerous mines have been complicated by the country's soaring demands for power to drive its booming economy. Chinese President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao urged officials to curb the "possible occurrence of big safety accidents which claim huge casualties and property losses," the state-run newspaper China Daily said Monday. The leaders called for enforcement of stricter inspections and punishments, it said. The State Council, China's cabinet, has made safety overhauls at coal mines, chemical plants and fireworks factories - all places where major accidents regularly occur - a priority over the next few months, the newspaper said.

Related Content

People walk past a building one day after air strikes destroyed it in Sanaa, Yemen June 6, 2018.
July 18, 2018
The Damage Of Dammaj: How Sectarian Tensions Fuel ISIS In Yemen

By FELICE FRIEDSON AND JOSHUA A. HOLMES/THE MEDIA LINE