The death toll in flooding and landslides triggered by heavy rains in southern China this week has risen by at least 13 to 49, a state news agency said Saturday.
Another 23 people also are missing following the fatalities in Hubei, Sichuan and Guizhou provinces and the giant industrial city of Chongqing, the Xinhua News Agency said. It said 403,000 people were evacuated after the rains destroyed more than 20,000 homes.
The deaths are in addition to the 128 people killed last week by flooding in other parts of southern China.
Flooding destroyed crops and disrupted phone service and supplies of water and power, according to state media.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>