ETA claims car bombing but says cease-fire stands

By
January 10, 2007 03:12

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Basque group ETA claimed responsibility for a powerful car bombing that killed two people, and the Spanish prime minister postponed a trip to Japan next week in order to address lawmakers on the conflict with the separatists, a spokesman said. ETA, in a statement sent to the pro-independence newspaper Gara, said the fatalities in the Dec. 30 bombing had been unintentional, and insisted that a "permanent" cease-fire it called in March remained in force. The separatist group blamed the Spanish government for hindering a peace process launched with the ETA truce announcement, and said ETA reserved the right to respond if the government kept up "aggression" against the pro-independence movement. The bombing Dec. 30 destroyed a five-story parking garage at Madrid international airport, killed two men sleeping in parked cars and injured 26 people. The bombing also shattered a nine-month ETA cease-fire that Europe's last armed political militancy had called permanent.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Democratic U.S. congressional candidate Rashida Tlaib reacts after appearing after midterm elections
November 15, 2018
New House Democrats seen as lightning rods on Israel debate

By MICHAEL WILNER