EU advised to annul data-sharing deal with US

Advisor argues that US counter-terrorism measure harms privacy.

By
November 22, 2005 12:03
2 minute read.
airbus plane flying 88

airbus plane flying 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

An adviser to the European Union's highest court on Tuesday called for the annulment of the deal that provides US counter-terrorism authorities with information about air passengers, arguing the measure insufficiently protects privacy. Philippe Leger, the advocate general of the Luxembourg-based European Court of Justice, sided with the European Parliament, which brought the case, and against the EU executive Commission and the Council of member states. The court follows the advice of its advocate general in about 80 percent of cases. The full judgment is expected next year. If the court annuls the deal, it would have to be renegotiated between the parties. "Advocate General Leger proposes annulment of the Commission and Council decisions on transfer to the American authorities of personal information concerning air passengers," the court said in a statement. The EU and Washington signed an agreement in May last year to exchange airline passenger data in an attempt to counter terrorist attempts. It entered into immediate effect, but the EU legislature had objections, claiming the deal failed to sufficiently protect the privacy of passengers and that the measure was disproportionate. The agreement was to last 3 years and gives US authorities access to information about passengers on flights to or from the 25 European Union countries. The information is checked against US databases to determine if any travelers are terrorist threats. It compels European airlines to turn over 34 pieces of information about each passenger, including name, address and credit card details, within 15 minutes of departure for the United States. Some sensitive items, such as meal requests that could indicate a passenger's race or religion, will either not be transferred or will be filtered out by US authorities, officials said. Washington warned that airlines would face fines and a loss of landing rights if they did not comply. US officials already had access to the information under an interim program that began in March 2003. The new agreement gave European airlines the certainty that they were not violating US or European laws by sharing their passenger data. The carriers had been caught in the middle between the US Congress - which ordered them to turn over data for flights to, from or through the United States - and the EU, which prohibits such transfers under its data protection laws. The United States cited the deal on trans-Atlantic flights as an example of the close cooperation in the fight against terrorism.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Cal Fire firefighters comb through a house destroyed by the Camp Fire in Paradise
November 15, 2018
Eight more victims of California wildfire found, raising death toll to 56

By REUTERS