Filipino Muslim rebels: Army breaking cease-fire

By
October 26, 2006 08:24

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Muslim rebels in the southern Philippines accused army troops of strafing their positions Thursday amid warnings of a return to war unless the government drops a murder investigation against their leader. Tensions between the rebel Moro Islamic Liberation Front and the government have been growing since their Malaysian-brokered peace talks stalled in early September and police filed a murder complaint earlier this month against MILF chairman Al Haj Murad over recent bombings. Early Thursday, military helicopters flew low over MILF positions in the mountains of Lanao del Norte, about 800 kilometers (500 miles) southeast of Manila, and exchanged fire with the rebels, rebel chief negotiator Mohagher Iqbal told The Associated Press. No casualties were reported and the military did not comment immediately. Iqbal said the MILF would file a protest with a joint cease-fire committee that has been observing a 3-year-old truce.

Related Content

U.S. President Donald Trump receives a football from Russian President Vladimir Putin
July 20, 2018
Trump invites Putin to Washington despite U.S. uproar over Helsinki summit

By REUTERS