Floods strand Pakistanis in cyclone aftermath

By
June 27, 2007 18:30

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Thousands of people were stranded on rooftops and tree branches Wednesday as cyclone-spawned floods surged through towns and villages of Pakistan's coastline, officials said. In the storm-tossed Arabian Sea, navy warships and helicopters continued to search for missing vessels, having rescued about 125 crewmen from floundering craft, said navy and Maritime Security Agency spokesmen. Aircraft and speed boats were also in demand to help hundreds of people on five isolated islands lying some 150 kilometers southeast of Karachi, said Sami Memon, president of the Fisherfolk Forum, a fishermen's welfare body. In Karachi, the country's largest city, five people were electrocuted by falling electricity lines that had earlier been battered by rains and thunderstorms, according to official reports. Cyclone Yemyin struck the coastline of Baluchistan province Tuesday, killing at least 12 people, including four children, said Raziq Bugti, spokesman for the provincial government. Others were believed lost at sea, but no estimates were available.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
November 18, 2018
Khashoggi killers possibly took his dismembered body out of country

By REUTERS