A French man arrested by Egyptian officials as a terror suspect - one of a dozen Westerners accused of plotting attacks - was detained Sunday after being expelled from Egypt, judicial officials said.
A preliminary investigation for "criminal association in relation with a terrorist enterprise" - a sweeping charge often used in terror cases in France - was opened in connection with the suspect, the officials said. The suspect's identity was not made public, and the officials themselves, not authorized to discuss the case, spoke on condition they not be named.
The man, expelled from Egypt earlier Sunday, can be held for up to four days before French authorities decide whether they have enough evidence to pursue a case.
Eight other French citizens were expelled by Egypt earlier this month along with two Belgians. The French were all set free a week ago. The ninth Frenchman remained in Egyptian custody, along with the American and an unknown number of Egyptians and Arabs from other countries.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>