G-8 protesters reach summit's security fence

June 7, 2007 04:14
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A motley band of more than 800 protesters, some sporting fluorescent wigs and clown noses, scampered through woods and open fields past police patrols to reach the barbed-wire topped fence sealing off the Group of Eight summit. Organizers of the various protest groups claimed victory for getting as far as the barrier, despite being doused by police water cannons, struck with tear gas and occasionally tackled as they blocked several roads including the route from the airport as leaders were flying in for the first day of the summit on Wednesday. "We have successfully taken over all roads leading to Heiligendamm," said Christoph Kleine of the Block G-8 group. "We are very happy with that." A group of about 150 members of a group calling themselves the Clandestine Insurgent Rebel Clown Army, in wigs, clown makeup and noses, and occasionally in drag, blocked one of two road entrances into the Heiligendamm area for several hours near the small town of Hinter Bollhagen, less than three kilometers from the summit site. They were eventually moved, and some 100 police officers in full riot gear then marched the clowns kilometers along a dirt road back to nearby Kuehlungsborn, as the protesters playfully waved at helicopters shuttling dignitaries into the summit site overhead.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Herman Goring and Martin Bormann visit the destroyed barracks in the Führer's headquarters
July 21, 2019
Germany marks 75th anniversary of plot to kill Hitler


Cookie Settings