German court acquits ex-Nazi officer

Slovak rebel Niznansky who joined Nazis after capture cleared of murder charges.

December 19, 2005 13:18
1 minute read.
ladislav niznansky

niznansky 88.298 ap. (photo credit: AP)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


An 88-year-old man was acquitted of murder Monday in three Nazi massacres in Slovakia at the end of World War II. Ladislav Niznansky showed no reaction as the verdict was announced at the Munich state court. Presiding Judge Manfred Goetzl did not immediately detail reasons for the acquittal on charges related to massacres in early 1945 after a failed uprising against Slovakia's Nazi puppet government. Prosecutors had sought the maximum sentence of life imprisonment in what was likely one of the last trials dealing with Nazi-era crimes. Defense lawyers said Niznansky was innocent and should be acquitted. A former Slovak army captain who at first supported the 1944 revolt, Niznansky changed sides after his capture and took charge of the Slovak section of a Nazi unit code-named Edelweiss that hunted resistance fighters and Jews. He was convicted of the shootings and other killings and sentenced to death in absentia in communist Czechoslovakia in 1962. By then, he had moved to Germany and worked for US-financed Radio Free Europe in Munich, which broadcast Western programming to the Soviet bloc. Now retired, he became a German citizen in 1996. German authorities began their investigation in 2001 after a Slovak request, and judges traveled to Slovakia to interview surviving witnesses. Niznansky was arrested in January 2004. The court released Niznansky from police custody in October 2004, citing contradictory testimony from a witness whose evidence helped secure his conviction in 1962. Still, prosecutors have said evidence presented in his 14-month trial show he was an active commander of some of the forces involved in the slaughter of 146 people in two Slovak villages and the later killing of 18 Jewish civilians. Niznansky says that he fought partisans after being forced to join the Nazi unit and that he took part in the operation against the villages. However, he insists that others ordered and carried out the killings, and the 1962 evidence was from a "communist show trial." He has told the court he regrets the deaths.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Trump and Putin G20 2017
February 20, 2019
Putin: We'll target USA if Washington deploys missiles in Europe