German gov't abandons plan to cut minimum age for firearms possession

By
September 3, 2007 14:46

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Germany's interior minister on Monday abandoned a proposal to reduce the minimum age for legally possessing firearms - increased after a school shooting in 2002 - following widespread criticism even from within the governing coalition. The Interior Ministry said on Sunday that it was considering reducing to 18 from 21 the lower limit for buying and possessing large-caliber firearms for recreational use, such as those used on rifle ranges, while introducing a new psychological suitability test for potential owners under age 25. It said that the proposal had been made in anticipation of an effort to harmonize rules across the European Union. The ministry also said the increase from 18, introduced after a teenager fatally shot 16 people and himself at his former school in Erfurt in 2002, had not been proved to bring added safety. Following criticism from both sides of Chancellor Angela Merkel's left-right "grand coalition," Interior Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble intervened Monday to stop the plan.

Related Content

US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley delivers remarks to the press
July 19, 2018
Nikki Haley: UNHRC’s Agenda 7 is ‘directed against Israel’s existence’

By TOVAH LAZAROFF