Insurgents wearing suicide vests tried to storm a US military base near the border with Pakistan in a daring insurgent attack on a major American installation, a provincial governor said Tuesday. The Insurgents failed to gain entry to Camp Salerno in Khost city, after launching waves of attacks just before midnight on Monday, said Arsallah Jamal. The base is just a few kilometers away from Pakistan's border. A US coalition spokesman, 1st Lt. Nathan Perry, said early Tuesday that there had been no American deaths but that the fighting around the base was still ongoing. The Afghan governor reported two Afghan civilians had died in the fighting. The attack came one day after a suicide bomb outside the same base killed 10 civilians and wounded 13 others.