Iran releases former VP on bail in mass trial

Top Iran reformer gets 6

By
November 22, 2009 11:18
2 minute read.
Karroubi Mousavi 248.88

Karroubi Mousavi 248.88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Former Iranian vice president Mohammad Ali Abtahi was released on bail in the mass trial of opposition figures accused of fomenting the country's post-election unrest, Iran's official news agency reported Sunday. Abtahi, who served as vice president during former Iranian president Mohammad Khatami's two terms from 1997-2005, was sentenced to six years in prison, his lawyer said earlier Sunday. Official news agency IRNA quoted the Tehdran prosecutor, Abbas Jafari Dolatabadi, as saying that Abtahi was released on a $700,000 bail after the verdict was delivered. His sentence was not specified. Abtahi is the most senior former official among more than 100 people on trial over the protests that followed the disputed June 12 presidential election. Last week, state television reported that five defendants in the mass trial were sentenced to death and 81 got prison terms ranging from six months up to 15 years. Abtahi made televised confessions after his arrest in which he admitted provoking people to riot. But his family and other opposition figures said the statements were coerced and similar claims have been made about other defendants' confessions during the trial. Rights groups and opposition figures in Iran have criticized the court proceedings as a "show trial." In the weeks following the June 12 election, the opposition led massive street protests that drew hundreds of thousands and supporters clashed with security forces. They claimed fraud after authorities declared Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad the winner of a second term, and the protests were the most serious internal unrest in Iran in the 30 years since the Islamic Revolution. Iran's clergy-led establishment accused the protesters of trying to state a "velvet revolution." A harsh crackdown ended the demonstrations and a security sweep went far beyond rounding up just protesters on the streets, snatching up rights activists and journalists, as well as pro-reform politicians. The government has stopped short of indicting the most visible opposition leaders, presidential candidates Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mahdi Karroubi, but there have been signs in recent weeks that could change. The opposition says Mousavi is the rightful winner of the election. Abtahi's lawyer Saleh Nikbakht said he planned to appeal the verdict and he has 20 days to do so. Iran has accused the defendants in the trial of a range of offenses from security violations, agitating against the Islamic republic, violating law and order, damaging public and private property, and assaulting civilians and security forces. Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who openly backed Ahmadinejad's election victory, has said it is a crime to question the legitimacy of the June vote.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
November 18, 2018
Khashoggi killers possibly took his dismembered body out of country

By REUTERS