Iran says nuclear talks with world powers to resume Thursday

Islamic republic agrees to resume negotiations on implementing Geneva deal after technical talks halted last week.

By REUTERS
December 18, 2013 15:29
1 minute read.
Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi

Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi 370. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

DUBAI - Iran says it will resume technical talks with six world powers in Geneva on Thursday and Friday, a vital step in implementing a deal signed last month which suspends key elements of Tehran's nuclear program in exchange for limited relief from sanctions.

The talks between expert teams may continue into Saturday and Sunday if required, Fars news agency reported Iran's deputy chief negotiator, Abbas Araqchi, as saying.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Last Thursday Iranian negotiators interrupted technical talks in Vienna in protest against the US blacklisting of an additional 19 Iranian companies and individuals under existing sanctions, saying the move was against the spirit of the nuclear deal.

US officials maintain the blacklisting does not violate the Nov. 24 agreement and say they gave Iran advance warning of the action.

The development has highlighted the sensitivities involved in implementing the agreement. Some US lawmakers are pushing for further sanctions against Iran, a move which hardliners in Iran see as proof the United States cannot be trusted.

The six powers - the United States, Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany - are seeking to curb Iran's atomic program to prevent it from acquiring nuclear weapons. Iran denies any such intention, saying it needs nuclear power in order to generate electricity.


Related Content

Ringo Starr performs in Tel Aviv with Steve Lukather (left) and Graham Gouldman.
June 25, 2018
Transcendent it wasn't. But was it fun? Oh boy.

By JPOST.COM STAFF