Ireland: IDF attacks `disproportionate'

By
July 18, 2006 16:14
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Israel's military response to attacks and abductions from the Gaza Strip and Lebanon is overblown, illegal and reckless to civilian lives, Irish Foreign Minister Dermot Ahern told lawmakers Tuesday. "Israel has an absolute right to peace and security. But Israel is a strong military power," Ahern told the parliament's foreign affairs committee. "We share the belief within the EU that its military response in Gaza and in Lebanon has been harsh and disproportionate. "Israel has a legitimate right to defend its citizens, but this must not be at the expense of the lives and welfare of Lebanese and Palestinian civilians. All military operations must be carried out in strict accordance with international law. And all parties must act on their responsibility to protect civilian lives. It has to be said that Israel is clearly failing to do so." The foreign minister blamed militants in Gaza and Lebanon with igniting the bloodshed by kidnapping Israeli soldiers, and called for their immediate release. "The action of Hezbollah in launching attacks across the border with Israel last week was cynically calculated to widen and deepen the conflict. It has brought tragedy and destruction upon the Lebanese people, again. It has also diverted the focus of attention from the continuing suffering of the Palestinians in Gaza," he said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Settlement Regulation Law to save homes like in Modiin Illit in the West Bank, 2017
October 17, 2018
France suspends alleged discriminatory product labeling against Israel

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL