Ireland: UN peacekeeper in Lebanon warned Israel

By
July 26, 2006 20:52

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Ireland on Wednesday filed an official protest with Israel alleging that its senior United Nations peacekeeper in Lebanon made six telephoned warnings about IDF shelling near a UN border outpost - hours before it suffered a direct hit and the four soldiers inside were killed. Speaking after a 40-minute meeting with Israeli Ambassador Daniel Megiddo, two senior Cabinet ministers said they doubted Israel's claim that the attack was accidental. Megiddo said his government would do all it could to avoid hitting United Nations positions and firmly rejected suggestions that Israel would ever target one. "You can't forget, however, that this is a war zone," he told reporters outside the Department of Foreign Affairs, where he had been summoned. Defense Minister Willie O'Dea and Foreign Affairs Minister Dermot Ahern said what the ambassador told them was not credible.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

October 17, 2018
German center for antisemitism research hires alleged ‘antisemite’

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL