'John Demjanjuk could face more death camp charges'

German state prosecutor tells newspaper new allegations submitted over Demjanjuk's role at Flossenbuerg camp during which 4,974 people killed.

By REUTERS
July 16, 2011 14:09
1 minute read.
Accused Nazi death camp guard John Demjanjuk

John Demjanjuk 311 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS/Lukas Barth/Pool)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BERLIN - John Demjanjuk, convicted this year for his role in killing 28,000 Jews in the Sobibor Nazi death camp, may be prosecuted for similar crimes at another camp, a newspaper report said.

"There is initial suspicion based on a report," Gerhard Heindl, state prosecutor for the prosecution office in Bavaria's Weiden was quoted as saying in Saturday's edition of the Der Tagesspiegel newspaper.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Demjanjuk ruling ‘closes the circle,’ Dorner says
Demjanjuk: A powerful verdict, bitterly undermined

The allegations -- brought by two figures who were involved in the Sobibor case -- refer to his time as a guard at the Flossenbuerg camp from October 1943 to December 1944, the newspaper said. The two men say that during Demjanjuk's time in the camp 4,974 people were killed.

In May, a Munich court convicted the 91-year-old of helping to kill 28,000 people at the Sobibor camp in German-occupied Poland during World War II, sentencing him to five years in prison. He was freed because of his age.

The Ukrainian-born Demjanjuk had been in a German jail since he was extradited from the United States two years ago. He is now stateless.

Demjanjuk, once top of the Simon Wiesenthal Center's list of most wanted Nazi criminals, has said he was drafted into the Soviet army in 1941 and then taken prisoner by the Germans.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


He was initially sentenced to death two decades ago in Israel for being the so-called "Ivan the Terrible" camp guard at Treblinka in Poland.

The guilty verdict was overturned on appeal by Israel's supreme court in 1993 after new evidence emerged pointing to a case of mistake identity.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Chelsea Football
October 19, 2018
Chelsea blows the whistle on antisemitism

By TAMAR BEERI