International judges for a Khmer Rouge genocide tribunal said Tuesday they plan to boycott a meeting to adopt rules to guide the trials, presenting another obstacle to the already much-delayed UN-backed proceedings.
The decision is certain to further hinder - and perhaps jeopardize - the long-awaited trials of former Khmer Rouge leaders for crimes against humanity and genocide. They had been expected to begin sometime this year.
The foreign judges said in a statement that they will not meet with their Cambodian counterparts on April 30 as scheduled because the Cambodian Bar Association has not responded to their request for it to reconsider the US$4,900 (â‚¬3,700) legal fee it plans to impose on each foreign lawyer practicing at the tribunal.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>