Lawyer says terror suspect at Guantanamo attempted suicide last month

By
May 20, 2008 19:13

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A lawyer for the alleged "20th hijacker" says the Saudi tried to kill himself at Guantanamo last month after learning he faced a possible death sentence. The lawyer says Mohammed al-Qahtani cut himself repeatedly and had to be hospitalized. Attorney Gitanjali Gutierrez said Tuesday that al-Qahtani was upset to learn he faced murder and war crimes charges in the Sept. 11 attacks. The Pentagon later dropped the charges without saying why. The US has said he had tried to join the 9/11 hijackers, but couldn't get into the country. Gutierrez was not able to reveal the information until now because of security rules. The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright
July 18, 2019
Massachusetts prosecutors drop Kevin Spacey's sexual assault charges

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings