Mauritania: 21 Islamic radicals to go on trial

By
May 21, 2007 05:37

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The trial of 21 suspected Islamic extremists, some of whom are accused of ties to the terrorist group behind a deadly attack in the Algerian capital last month, begins Monday. Seven of the suspects are Mauritanian natives and are accused of having received military training from the al-Qaida-linked Salafist Group for Call and Combat in Algeria, said attorney Ahmed Ould Youssouf, head of a national association of Mauritanian lawyers. The aim of their training was "to commit acts of terrorism in Mauritania and to wage war against foreign armies in Iraq," Youssouf said. The group consists of men arrested in April 2005, as well as a second group arrested in June of that year and accused of mounting an attack on a Mauritanian army garrison that killed 17 soldiers and wounded 69 others.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
November 18, 2018
Khashoggi killers possibly took his dismembered body out of country

By REUTERS